Jibes Quick Launch:
Fusing the Duck-Tack and the Backwinded-Jibe together results in this smooth and elegant jibe. Performing this maneuver in swell will baffle your sailing buddies and elevate your status into the stratosphere. As a sidebar, I think this is one of the coolest maneuvers to see on the water and I was very fortunate to watch Tonki Franz do maneuvers like this daily when he spent the summer in the Gorge. He is truly a sailor with style and inspires everyone around him.
Rider: Royn Bartholdi
1) Bear off wind in control and with moderate speed.
2) Unhook and get out of the footstraps.
3) Now switch your stance like you normally would perform a duck tack but Keep bearing off the wind like the beginning of a jibe.
4) Throw the mast into the eye of the wind and move your front hand behind your back hand, so they cross momentarily. Then let go of the other hand.
5) Pull the clew down and toward the tail of the board.
6) The sail will float if you performed duck properly.
9) The sail will begin to rise like a sail throw.
10) Grab the booms.
11) Let the sail power-up but keep your weight shifted toward the center of the board. Place your front foot behind the mast again.
12) Bring the mast forward and push on the clew.
13) he sail will power-up to complete the jibe
14) Trim & sail away.
All Contents Copyright ? 2000 - 2012 Royn Bartholdi. All Rights Reserved